Visit the Official website to see how the plugin can enhance your website.
Lumiere! Movies helps you integrate loads of information about movies and stars in your blog. Widgets, links to informative popup, and dedicated taxonomy pages are available. Everything is automatised and no further configuration is required from the user. However, should you want to access advanced features, your can change the themes, add taxonomy to your pages, remove links, display automatically information according to your blog posts’ titles, and use many hidden features. The information is retrieved from the well-known IMDb website. Lumière! ensures that you have the most accurate and reliable information always available on your blog.
Many features are available in the WordPress old and new editing interfaces (Block based, Visual editor, and HTML editor). It is Content Security Policy (CSP) compliant, takes advantage of Polylang plugin and is partially compatible with AMP plugin. It is fully compatible with Classic editor plugin.
Lumière! is a great tool to illustrate your articles. You can display movie details through many ways, such as in popups, widgets, and straight inside a post. It can be extensively fine-tuned in the admin options panel.
It’s always a good idea to look at the official website
This plugin provides 2 blocks.
- Lumiere Movies
- Lumiere Movies
- Activate the plugin
- Should you want to fine-tune your blog, configure the plugin (in admin settings). Default values are automatically filled, no change is needed for normal use.
- Install a Lumière widget in the WordPress widget pages if you want to include movie information into your sidebar.
- Write your posts including movie information using the many tools smoothly incorporated in WordPress!
There are three ways to use Lumière!: 1/ with the popup link maker, 2/ with a widget and 3/ inside a post. Each option can be combined with any other; there is no limitation!
- Popup When writing your post, embed a movie’s title using “Add IMDb Link” option. Select the movie’s title you wrote down and click on that option. After publishing your post, your text will be clickable and will open a popup with data about the movie! Technially, an invisible HTML span tag will be added around the selected title such as: < span data-lum_link_maker “popup”> movie’s title< /span> that usually you can’t see except if you’re editing in text mode. You can see if it worked by the little icon on the left of you selected text. Popups can be displayed using Bootstrap, Classic and Highslide modal windows (to be selected in Lumière! admin options).
- Widget can be used to display movie’s data related to a post. Go to widgets admin options and add a Lumière! widget in the sidebar you want to show information about movies. Once the widget is activated, you can add information about a movie to your sidebar: when editing your blog post, a new widget will be displayed for your to enter either the movie’s name (that can lead to unexpected results) or the IMDb ID (this never fails in retrieving a movie) of the movie you want to be shown in the sidebar. If you don’t know what the IMDb ID is, you can use the query link provided in Lumière! widget. Just search for the movie name and you will find the IMDb ID.
- The plugin can show IMDb data inside a post. Just add a Lumière block and enter a movie’s title or movie’s imdb ID. For the latter, in order to find the IMDb ID use the query tool provided in Lumière block (sidebar block). A similar tool is provided with classic WP editor in a form of dropdown menu. If you’re writing your post with classic WP editor, use Lumière’s bar tools to select the movie title: it will insert html tags around your selection, such as < span data-lum_movie_maker “movie_title”>My movie’s title< /span>.
- Lumière! Movies can create virtual pages that include a list of movies identically tagged (known as taxonomy). Taxonomy templates are provided. Check plugin’s help to figure out how to use that option.
- You may edit the “/* —- imdbincluded /” section in css/lumiere.css file to customize the layout according to your taste. In order to keep your stylesheet changes through Lumière! updates, you need to download an unminified lumiere.css from the Lumiere GIT repository, and after editing it just put your new lumiere.css file into your current WordPress template folder (a child template, preferably, it will get deleted by a template update otherwise). This way, your stylesheet modifications will be kept through Lumière!’s updates. Important: do not removed the section before “/ —- imdbincluded */”.
- If you do not want Lumière to add any link (in the case you are only looking for information displayed in widget and inside posts), search for the option located in “General options -> Advanced -> Remove popup links?” and select “yes”. Links opening a popup (both in widget and posts) will not be be available anymore.
- Should you want to display automatically a widget according to the post’s title, just switch on the “Auto widget” option located in “General Options -> Advanced -> Auto widget” in the plugin admin options. Make sure you added a Lumière widget in “Appearence – Widgets”. Usefull for blogs exclusively dedicated to movie reviews, where all posts’ titles are named after movie’s titles.
- You may want to include a custom page in your blog that includes all your movie related articles. Have a look there : Lost highway’s movies reviews. Should you want to do the same, check Lumière’s help in your administration interface.
- Taxonomy pages and popups URLs can be edited according to your tastes. In advanced general Lumière options, you may want to modify the URL starting with ‘lumiere’ for taxonomy pages. Make sure to refresh your “rewriting rules” when adding new taxonomy (visit in your admin interface the page Permalink Settings (/wp-admin/options-permalink.php)
- Should your blog be dedicated to TV shows, Podcats or videogames only, it is possible to change Lumière’s search behaviour to retrieve exclusively those. In advanced general Lumière admin options, look for ‘Search categories’.
- Many more options are offered, just take a look at the options!
How to use the plugin?
You can find further explanation about how to use the features of Lumière! in the dedicated page of the plugin settings. After installing Lumière!, take a look at the section “Lumière! help”.
Can I suggest a feature/report a bug regarding the plugin?
Of course, pay a visit to the Lumière! Movies home or GIT repository. Do not hesitate to share your comments, glitches and wishes. The plugin does more or less what I need but users have helped me improve Lumière! a lot.
Look at “General Options -> Advanced -> Misc -> Remove all links?” and switch the option to “yes”. Links will not be displayed anymore, both for the “widget” (inside posts) and external links (like popups).
I want to keep data forever on my disk/server
Look at “Cache management -> Cache general options -> Cache expire” and click on “never” to keep forever the downloaded data from IMDb. Be carefull with that option: changes made on IMDb will not be anymore reflected in your cache. Should you have selected that option, you can still delete/refresh any specific movie you want in the cache options.
You could also select “Cache auto-refresh”, which will refresh automatically your cache every two weeks.
Although only one widget only can be added per post, you can insert as many movies blocks as you want in your posts.
How to integrate Lumière with Polylang plugin?
If Polylang is installed, new features for taxonomy are added, such as a dropdown form for selecting the languages in taxonomy pages (such as /yourblog/lumiere-director/stanley-kubrick/). Once you select which to data to turn into taxonomy, you must activate the very same taxonomy in Polylang Settings -> Custom post types and Taxonomies -> Custom taxonomies as your activiated Lumière taxonomies.
Is it compatible with Classic Editor plugin?
If for any reason your are using Classic editor to get back the pre-5.8 WordPress editor interface, you will find every Lumière user-friendly editing tools to add your movies to your posts.
Is it compatible with Classic Widgets plugin?
If for any reason your are using Classic Widgets to get back the pre-5.8 WordPress widget interface, you will be able to add Lumière widget anyway.
Is it AMP compliant?
Mostly it is. You may see some changes in the layout and obviously the apparence will change. As it is expected by AMPization of any webpages.
Is it CSP compliant?
Content Security Policy (CSP) is a webserver based security avoiding injections to your pages. It greatly improves the security of your website.
Can I change the size of the poster pictures?
Sure thing, just untick ‘Display only thumbnail’ in general admin options, and insert the size in pixels of the picture.
Can I change the size of the popups?
Sure thing, just fill in the width and heigth in general admin options.
Can I change the color themes of the popups or inside the posts?
Sure thing, just select one of the theme available in general admin options, either in ‘plain page’ or ‘popup’ sections.
Can I add or remove the data details, such as director or year of release?
Sure thing, you can also modify the order of these details. Just take a look at data management options.
No data is sent to IMDb about end users. The website host does its own queries to the IMDb, without knowing who is visiting it.
- In taxonomy extra page for people, if both Polylang and AMP plugins are activated, the form to switch the language doesn’t work.
Contributors & Developers
“Lumiere Movies” is open source software. The following people have contributed to this plugin.Contributors
!Important: Due to the improvement of the taxonomy system, it is advised to remove all “lumiere-XX” taxonomy tags that may have been automatically created. Just go to the Posts admin section, and delete all tags found under “lumiere-XX” taxonomy (ie: lumiere-director) you may have on the left menu. Tags will be created again when visiting your pages with IMDb widgets/into the posts sections. Important again: if you are a Polylang plugin user, make sure to activate in “Settings -> Custom post types and Taxonomies -> Custom taxonomies” your Lumière taxonomies
Added new automatized refresh of the cache function, a cool feature that will ensure that you cache is up to date forever! Fixed also the taxonomy system, it now creates proper links towards taxonomy pages (ie: https://yourblog.com/lumiere-director/stanley-kubrick) within widgets/into the posts sections, with the appropriate language. Taxonomy for items (ie: genre) is now displayed for all items found. Added the general advanced option to add an extra delay when querying the IMDb website. Data downloading from imdb website is retried 3 times before giving up. Fixed bug in plugin activation, layout in admin data options position, improved Content security policy and HTML 4.1, PHP 8.0, PHP 8.3 compatibility. Banning bots is now executed before doing any IMDb search or display, avoiding cache creationg (and 504 HTML errors when calling IMDb website!). Improved the comments in admin sections. Under the hood, the admin option pages have been cleaned and rewrote.
And much more! This is a major new version, more stable and safer, extensively tested before release.
Some bots scanning the popups without considering head rules (nofollow) will be now banned. This will prevents from having bots creating a huge cache and many requests that get user banned from IMDB (and save space).
-> Faster plugin (images smaller size, technical improvements)
-> Using less disk space (cache).
Fixed cache that was not properly deleted since GraphQL. Please delete your entire cache should you have selected the option “never” for the “Cache expire” in the admin cache options.
Many bugs brought by the availability of the French translation addressed, such as the integration with Polylang plugin.
Privacy explaination in admin should anyone want to add this piece to their own privacy page.
Adressed latest bugs with PHP 8.2. Fully compliant now.