BTCPay Server is a free and open-source cryptocurrency payment processor which allows you to receive payments in Bitcoin and altcoins directly, with no fees, transaction cost or a middleman.
BTCPay Server is a non-custodial invoicing system which eliminates the involvement of a third-party. Payments with BTCPay WooCommerce Plugin go directly to your wallet, which increases the privacy and security. Your private keys are never uploaded to the server. There is no address re-use since each invoice generates a new address deriving from your xPub key.
You can run BTCPay as a self-hosted solution on your own server, or use a third-party host.
The self-hosted solution allows you not only to attach an unlimited number of stores and use the Lightning Network but also become the payment processor for others.
- Direct, peer-to-peer Bitcoin and altcoin payments
- No transaction fees (other than mining fees by cryptocurrency network itself)
- No processing fees
- No middleman
- No KYC
- User has complete control over private keys
- Enhanced privacy (no address re-use, no IP leaks to third parties)
- Enhanced security
- SegWit, Taproot support
- Lightning Network support (LND, c-lightning and Eclair)
- Altcoin support
- Attach unlimited stores, process payments for friends
- Easy-embeddable Payment buttons
- Point of Sale app
This plugin requires WooCommerce. Please make sure you have WooCommerce installed.
To integrate BTCPay Server into an existing WooCommerce store, follow the steps below or check our official installation instructions.
1. Deploy BTCPay Server (optional)
This step is optional, if you already have a BTCPay Server instance setup you can skip to section 2. below. To launch your BTCPay server, you can self-host it, or use a third party host.
1.1 Self-hosted BTCPay
There are various ways to launch a self-hosted BTCPay. If you do not have technical knowledge, use the web-wizard method and follow the video below.
For the self-hosted solutions, you will have to wait for your node to sync fully before proceeding to step 3.
1.2 Third-party host
Those who want to test BTCPay out, or are okay with the limitations of a third-party hosting (dependency and privacy, as well as lack of some features) can use a one of many third-party hosts.
The video below shows you how to connect your store to such a host.
2. Install BTCPay WooCommerce Plugin
BTCPay WooCommerce plugin is a bridge between your BTCPay Server (payment processor) and your e-commerce store. No matter if you are using a self-hosted or third-party solution from step 1., the connection process is identical.
You can find detailed installation instructions on our WooCommerce documentation.
Here is a quick walk through if you prefer a video:
3. Connecting your wallet
No matter if you’re using self-hosted or server hosted by a third-party, the process of configuring your wallet is the same.
4. Testing the checkout
Making a small test-purchase from your own store, will give you a piece of mind. Always make sure that everything is set up correctly before going live. The final video, guides you through the steps of setting a gap limit in your Electrum wallet and testing the checkout process.
Depending on your business model and store settings, you may want to fine tune your order statuses.
You’ll find extensive documentation and answers to many of your questions on BTCPay for WooCommerce V2 docs and on BTCPay for WooCommerce integrations FAQ.
Contributors & Developers
“BTCPay for WooCommerce V2” is open source software. The following people have contributed to this plugin.Contributors
Translate “BTCPay for WooCommerce V2” into your language.
Interested in development?
Browse the code, check out the SVN repository, or subscribe to the development log by RSS.
1.1.5 :: 2023-03-08
- Fix: fix error when plugins override delete_transient function not returning boolean value
1.1.4 :: 2023-01-20
(redo deployment because of broken build pipe)
* Fix: fixed error on thank you page for separate payment methods.
* Dev: updating Docker to latest WP and WC versions.
* Dev: switch Github action for checkout to v3.
1.1.3 :: 2023-01-20
- Fix: fixed error on thank you page for separate payment methods.
- Dev: updating Docker to latest WP and WC versions.
- Dev: switch Github action for checkout to v3.
1.1.2 :: 2022-12-09
- Fix existing invoice check, wrongly marking invoice invalid on some use cases.
- Add check for cURL PHP extension.
- Make sure generated gateways exist on filesystem.
1.1.1 :: 2022-09-12
- Update missing metadata
1.1.0 :: 2022-09-12
- Feature: Sats-Mode, currency SAT for Satoshis/Sats now available.
- Settings, adding more links to docs.
1.0.3 :: 2022-08-17
- New order state: Payment received after invoice has been expired.
- Order metadata restructure, also list multiple payments separated.
- Add plugin action links for settings, logs, docs, support.
- Show notice when BTCPay Server is not fully synched yet.
- Add BTCPay Server info to debug log.
- Update Readme with development instructions.
- Docker: Update to latest WP and WC versions.
- Pin BTCPay Server PHP library stable version.
1.0.2 :: 2022-04-08
- Fix plugin meta docblock version update, pump version once more.
1.0.1 :: 2022-04-08
- Fix bug if the custom uploaded payment gateway icon is deleted from filesystem.
- Added information about Tor proxy for Umbrel and other self-hosted nodes to BTCPay settings page.
1.0.0 :: 2022-03-27
- Reflect stability with release 1.0.0.
- Create a new invoice (and mark the old invalid) if the user uses browser back button and changes the payment method (relevant for separate payment gateway feature).
- Added plugin loader singleton.
- Added missing docs link to separate payment gateways feature.
- Added checkbox to enable/disable gateway from within gateway settings.
- Updated README.md
0.2.5 :: 2022-03-13
- Load media library and JS only on payment gateway settings page.
0.2.4 :: 2022-03-04
- Fix possible problem with CamelCased headers on PHP-FPM and/or Nginx.
- Do not log hitting the cache on debug log to avoid clutter.
0.2.3 :: 2022-02-28
- Adding irrelevant GitHub workflow files to .distignore.
- Updating installation instructions with new material.
0.2.2 :: 2022-02-28
- Fix fatal error, make sure is_plugin_active() is available.
0.2.1 :: 2022-02-21
- Replace SVG by PNG logo to avoid scaling it on themes without proper CSS rules for payment gateway icons.
0.2.0 :: 2022-02-18
- Fix Cash on delivery, Bank transfer gateways missing after plugin activation.
0.1.10 :: 2022-02-15
- Make sure custom endpoint works without nice url enabled.
- Better description for setting.
- Update translation strings.
0.1.9 :: 2022-02-08
- Make sure custom endpoint works by flushing rewrite rules on plugin activation.
- Replacing usage of WC_Admin_Settings::addMessage() with our own.
0.1.1 :: 2022-01-13
- Admin notice if legacy plugin is installed
- Admin notice on missing WooCommerce / PHP version lower 7.4
- Minor changes metadata / readme.txt
0.1.0 :: 2022-01-13
- First public release for testing.